Fort Breendonk | WN25
Sightseeing#Embark on a locally guided journey that’s ideal for first-time visitors and those seeking the premier vistas and landmarks of a destination.Print This Page
Starting from $109 USD / Adult
Travel through the countryside to uncover the horrific truth preserved within the walls of Fort Breendonk. Upon invading Belgium during World War II, the German army found itself facing a stalwart resistance from the brave population. An SS Transit Camp was created inside this former Belgian military base, where dissidents faced unspeakable horrors. In the four years before Belgium was liberated 3,532 prisoners passed through this camp. Of these 1,733 perished. Today, the facility is known as the Breendonk Fort National Memorial and it presents a hard and honest look at the terrors perpetrated during World War II. Though small in size compared to Nazi concentration camps, the depths of human suffering endured here is just as unfathomable. See the cells where prisoners were kept. Witness the execution site and the long-abandoned guard towers. Spend a reflective day exploring a dark period of history that must never be forgotten.
- Enjoy a panoramic drive through the Flemish countryside en route to Fort Breendonk.
- Explore this camp that once house Belgian resistance members who disavowed Nazi rule.
- Experience one of the best-preserved remnants of Nazi terror found in Western Europe.
What to BringShow
- KeyCard and photo identification
- Sun protection
- Cash/credit cards
- Local currency
What to WearShow
- Walking shoes
- Hat and sunglasses
- Light clothing
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
- Guests must be able to board transportation independently.
- Fort grounds feature uneven terrain, gravel paths and cobblestone surfaces.
|Location Antwerp, Belgium||Antwerp, Belgium|
|Tour Code WN25||WN25|
|Duration3.50 Hours||3.50 Hours|