Scenery of Western Shetland | WK02
Sightseeing#Embark on a locally guided journey that’s ideal for first-time visitors and those seeking the premier vistas and landmarks of a destination.Print This Page
Scenery of Western Shetland
Starting from $59.75 USD / Adult
Set out on a driving tour that meanders across the verdant landscape of Shetland and visits the historic ruins of Scalloway Castle. Built in 1600 by Earl Patrick Stewart, famed for his greed and arrogance, the castle was left to rot after his much-celebrated beheading in 1615. Enter the roofless shell for a rather eerie trip back to medieval times. Next, pay a visit to the Scalloway Museum, which chronicles the heroic “Shetland Bus” missions into Nazi occupied Norway during WWII. Journey on for a glimpse of quintessential Shetland, passing small lochs and streams, rustic farm buildings, rolling hills of wild heather, and the only wooded terrain on the island. Stop at a local jewelry workshop where you’ll witness artisans handcrafting gold and silver pieces featuring stunning Celtic and Viking designs. Perhaps, pick up an exquisite Scottish remembrance before a short but scenic drive leads back to the ship.
- Visit Scalloway Castle, a medieval relic built by a tyrannical Earl using forced labor.
- Tour the Scalloway Museum and learn about the daring “Shetland Bus” operations of World War II.
- Relax on a scenic drive past glistening lochs, family farms and fields of peat and heather.
What To BringShow
- KeyCard and photo identification
- Cash/credit cards
- Sun protection
- Local currency
What To WearShow
- Walking shoes
- Hat and sunglasses
- Weather-appropriate clothing
- Guests must be able to walk approximately 500 yards over gravel paths and packed earth walkways.
- This tour is equipped to accommodate guests who travel with a collapsible wheelchair, however, Scalloway Castle is not wheelchair accessible.
- Pregnant women and those with limited mobility may struggle with stairs at Scalloway Castle.
- Guest in wheelchairs and those with limited mobility should be accompanied by an able-bodied companion who can provide assistance.
- Walking during free time is at guest’s discretion.
|Location Lerwick, Scotland||Lerwick, Scotland|
|Tour Code WK02||WK02|
|Duration3.00 Hours||3.00 Hours|