Magical Monasteries of Meteora | VU03
Sightseeing#Embark on a locally guided journey that’s ideal for first-time visitors and those seeking the premier vistas and landmarks of a destination.Print This Page
Magical Monasteries of Meteora
Starting from $199 USD / Adult
Immerse yourself in Greek culture, cuisine, and history on this journey to the Meteora Monasteries. In the center of Greece—where the Pineios River surges into the Thessalian Plain, carving through the deep canyons of the Pindus Range—you'll find the Meteora Monasteries, surrounded by gigantic rocks etched by time into diverse shapes. The monks of Meteora have chosen a life of solitude and worship, and in the 11th century, hermits and ascetics transformed the caves and rocks into their living quarters. In the 14th century, the first official monasteries were founded. Here, you'll visit two monasteries, each filled with magnificent frescoes, beautiful gold leafs, wood carvings, paintings, and icons that date back to their monastic formation. After exploring this extraordinary site, you'll travel to Kalambaka for a traditional Greek meal in one of the village's local restaurants.
- Journey to a land where monks have chosen a life of solitude and worship surrounded by breathtaking beauty.
- Visit two of the Meteora Monasteries, a UNESCO World Heritage site, admiring the beautiful frescoes, wood carvings, paintings, and icons dating to the 14th century.
- Indulge in a delicious Greek lunch at Kalambaka Village.
What to BringShow
- KeyCard and photo identification
- Sun protection
- Cash/credit cards
What to WearShow
- Comfortable shoes
- Conservative clothing
- Hat & sunglasses
- Full cancellation fees will apply in case tour is cancelled within 24 hours prior scheduled date of call
- Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate. Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour - particularly tours categorized as "strenuous".
- The drive between Volos and Meteora is approximately 2 hours each way. This tour is strenuous.
- Guests must be able to walk approximately 750 yards over uneven surfaces and cobblestone, and be able to negotiate approximately 250 steps at the monastery.
- Please dress appropriately for entering the monasteries. Ladies are requested to wear skirts and have their shoulders covered. Shorts are not permitted.
- Cameras and videos are not permitted inside the monastery buildings, although photography is allowed in the forecourts.
- Guests in wheelchairs and those with limited mobility should not select this tour.
- Guests with dietary restrictions should inform the Shorex department prior to tour.
|Location Volos, Greece||Volos, Greece|
|Tour Code VU03||VU03|
|Duration8.75 Hours||8.75 Hours|