The History of Mosaics | RV3L
Cultural Expressions#Connect with customs, beliefs, art, and music that define local cultures through authentic, engaging encounters.Print This Page
The History of Mosaics
Starting from $149 USD / Adult
Embrace the heritage of Ravenna as one of the world's epicenters of mosaic art. You'll follow a local guide and historian on a journey that reveals some of the world's most stunning mosaics and a history dating back to the 5th century. Step inside the Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo to admire the largest mosaicked work still surviving in the city. Learn about the eight UNESCO World Heritage landmarks that grace Ravenna as you stroll to the workshop of a noted local artisan, where he'll introduce you to the mosaic techniques that distinguished the Roman, Byzantine, and medieval ages of Ravenna. From here, it's off to the city's acclaimed Art Museum to view its permanent exhibit of modern mosaic art. Pop into the Museum Cafeteria for a glass of wine and local snacks before heading back to ship with an even greater appreciation of Ravenna's artful heritage.
- Set off on an intimate tour led by a local guide that showcases the famed mosaics of Ravenna.
- Learn about the city's ties to the art dating back to the 5th century.
- Visit the Basilica of Sant’Apollinare Nuovo and the workshop of a local mosaic artisan.
What to BringShow
- KeyCard and photo identification
- Sun protection
- Cash/credit cards
- Local currency
What to WearShow
- Walking shoes
- Hat and sunglasses
- Conservative attire
- Guests must be able to handle approximately 2.5 hours on their feet, which includes walking with long periods of standing.
- Guests in wheelchairs and those with limited mobility should not select this tour.
- Conservative attire required. No shorts or tank tops. No exposed knees or shoulders.
- No video or photography is permitted in the museum.
- Tour sequence may vary.
|Location Bologna (Ravenna), Italy||Bologna (Ravenna), Italy|
|Tour Code RV3L||RV3L|
|Duration4.00 Hours||4.00 Hours|