Historic Durham and Cathedral | O805
Sightseeing#Embark on a locally guided journey that’s ideal for first-time visitors and those seeking the premier vistas and landmarks of a destination.Print This Page
Historic Durham and Cathedral
Starting from $79 USD / Adult
Travel south to the rustic city of Durham, a medieval wonder set along the River Wear. Meet up with a local guide for a narrated walking tour that climbs uphill to the Romanesque Durham Cathedral. Go inside the great church, known by most as Durham Cathedra, but officially called by a much longer moniker – The Cathedral Church of Christ, Blessed Mary the Virgin and St. Cuthbert of Durham. Opened in 1018, the cathedral’s majestic rib-vaulted design was a monumental architectural innovation of the period. Gaze up this super example of superb design and engineering, while learning about the storied history of Durham’s great church. The cathedral still attracts pilgrims from around the world and you’ll be able to count yourself among them. On your way back to the ship, make a photo stop at the Angel of the North, an awe-inspiring steel sculpture that’s become the iconic symbol of Newcastle.
- Follow a local guide through the streets of Durham and go inside its famed cathedral.
- Witness the church’s great rib-vaulted design, a monumental architectural achievement for the period.
- Stop for photos at the Angel of the North, the iconic symbol of Newcastle.
What to BringShow
- KeyCard and photo identification
- Sun protection
- Cash/credit cards
- Local currency
What to WearShow
- Walking shoes
- Hat and sunglasses
- Weather-appropriate clothing
- Guests must be able to walk over uneven surfaces in Durham and up a steep incline with stone steps to reach the cathedral.
- Guests in wheelchairs and those with limited mobility should not select this tour.
|Location Newcastle Upon Tyne, U.K.||Newcastle Upon Tyne, U.K.|
|Tour Code O805||O805|
|Duration4.50 Hours||4.50 Hours|