Port Underwood Coastal Drive | PI32
Sightseeing#Embark on a locally guided journey that’s ideal for first-time visitors and those seeking the premier vistas and landmarks of a destination.Print This Page
Port Underwood Coastal Drive
Starting from Kr 1 356,27 NOK / Adult
Explore parts of New Zealand few visitors experience on this off-the-beaten-path excursion to Port Underwood. Begin with a narrated drive that hugs the coast to reach Karaka Point and stunning views overlooking Port Underwood. Visit this sheltered bay and learn about its significant role in New Zealand history as the site where the much-debated Treaty of Waitangi was signed between the British Crown and Maori Chiefs, effectively declaring British sovereignty over the nation. You’ll also visit Kakapo Bay, a former whaling station where the hunt continued until the early 20th century. Follow the winding Port Underwood Road to witness coastal panoramas that have remained unchanged for generations. Visit a farmlet in Oyster Bay for tea, fresh biscuits, and the chance to chat with locals who make their livelihoods mussel farming. Afterwards, a scenic drive leads back to Picton, where you’ll enjoy some free time to browse the local shops.
- Enjoy a panoramic drive down the New Zealand Coast, and take in sweeping views of Port Underwood from Karaka Point.
- Learn about the Treaty of Waitangi, signed in 1840 between the British Crown and Maori Chiefs.
- Visit a farmlet in Oyster Bay for refreshments and to talk with locals about the generational business of mussel farming.
What to BringShow
- KeyCard and photo identification
- Cash/credit cards
- Sun protection
- Local currency
- Light jacket
What to WearShow
- Walking Shoes
- Hat and sunglasses
- Light clothing
- Guests in wheelchairs and those with limited mobility should not select this tour.
- Guests with back and neck issues should not select this tour due to bumpy roads.
- If weather is inclement, an alternative route/drive for part of the journey may be used.
- Your tour will be conducted by a driver who will also act as your guide.
|Location Picton, New Zealand||Picton, New Zealand|
|Tour Code PI32||PI32|
|Duration4.00 Hours||4.00 Hours|